Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Still Life as Painting Mode

Four Friends - Oil Painting In times past, my artwork focused on patterns, colors, graphic images and things other than the old fashioned classic topics. Now, as I re-enter the realm of my creativity, I am starting at the beginning, with the basics. Still life subjects are something that I never had a great interest in painting, but now, with limited space, and a shift in focus (and eyes that are less sharp than they were 20 years ago), still life subjects hold a different type of fascination. I question what I am really seeing, and wonder why the way I perceive them is so different than how I did before.

It's not a question that I will answer easily, if ever, and in reality, as soon as I start painting, I forget the question, and fall into the lovely colors and shapes and the process itself.

My deep metaphysical self only remains in control for a short while, and then the hedonist takes hold. That's the one who prefers dark chocolate, and the bright white of gardenias. Hmmm, gardenias.... something more to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment