Saturday, February 19, 2011

Play Dates Aren't Just for Kids.

Had a lovely afternoon with some friends, playing with ribbons, glue, stamps, ink, glitter... all the wonderful things that remind me of a day in kindergarten.  We were making Valentines, and talking, drinking tea and wine, eating wonderful little bits and pieces of yummy stuff. (OF COURSE chocolate was included).  

This time we spent was away from chores, work, family dramas, and all the cares that hang over our heads during "at home time".  Melinda, the hostess of the day had a collection of family Valentines, dating back almost (my guess) a hundred years.  There were a number of those wonderful pop-up scenes that belonged to Melinda's mother, and lots of things that the family made over a long period of time.

Home made Valentines, something that we miss these days.  These days, there is no time. No time for playing, no time for silly little creative projects that allow each of us to go into our fantasy worlds.

I know that I need the time to escape to that world, and gathering with friends to do something creative, or a project that keeps hands busy while we talk is a way for me to rejuvenate my spirit and my imagination.  It lets my subconscious connect with the deep river of creative drive that heals, that uplifts my sense of life, and inspires me to other creative works. It also keeps me going when I don't  have much time to dive into things like painting.   

No comments:

Post a Comment