Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Kitchen Faucet Cha-Cha

That pesky faucet needed repairing urgently. Been dripping (running) every time it was used, and we'd been looking at new faucets (Home Depot, Costco).  One evening a week or so ago, it finally quit, and my fairy godmother was looking after me, since it just stopped, instead of sending a geyser of water at the ceiling.  (Yes, I am thankful for small favors.) Since Jim didn't want to just buy the one we originally spied at Costco, there was no replacement ready to go. That one was VERY reasonably priced... of course.  
Back to Costco. No "last of the bunch" pricing. Too cranky to start the search over, so just looked at the two or three on hand, and picked the one that had a $50 rebate.  Handsgrohe... or some fancy German name. 

At home, I removed all of the cleaning supplies out from under the sink, and contorted my body to fit under to take a look at what needed to be done. Twenty years ago, I'd have just grabbed the wrenches and done it. Not so now. The attachments were in places I couldn't reach without breaking an arm and there were so many lines snaking around that it would have been a cluster. 


I got smart. Called a plumber, and had him do it. Of course it was a great amount of money, but we changed out the shutoff valves, removed the water filtration system (been meaning to replace it for two years), and it's done. 


Plumber did his share of grunting and mumbling, (much nicer than I would have been), checked all the faucets in the house, tightened up the one in the shower that was dripping, and voila' it's done.  Jim mentioned yesterday that he liked the new one, which is unusual, because he doesn't usually say anything, and I love it. 


So, yes, I suppose I could have done it, or WE could have done the work, but the cost of the chiropractor's visits over several weeks to repair the tweeked backs would have run through the checkbook just as fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment