Monday, April 12, 2010

Nasty Weather Inspires Kitchen Magic

April's weather turned cold, wet and blustery a few days ago, and I'm not going out in it, not not not! I started a pot of beans (Trader Joe's 17 bean mix) with a ham bone, made up the first step for more bread (that last batch disappeared quickly), and am preparing to try a recipe for "Greens in the Crockpot" that was posted on a blog by friends of mine who are travelling around the country in their RV.


I started a batch of basil in tiny little home-made peat pots (egg cartons with a peat/coir mix in them) to see if I can circumvent the cost of specialty herbs from my favorite nursery. Thai Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Lemon Basil and Sweet Basil for starters, because the critters are chomping away at the plants I bought at TJ's. Those will probably survive, but I use a lot of basil in my kitchen, and if there is extra, it will be dried and put away for next winter. Cinnamon basil is sooo good in the beans.. which reminds me, need to pop some in the pot soon. It's starting to smell heavenly. Chopped celery, some red bell pepper, and whatever else looks good.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Made ham & beans myself on Sat. We DO share the same brain!

    ReplyDelete