Saturday, October 9, 2010

Getting Back on the Horse

I've now had two weeks of being back in the corporate-job world. Life turned topsy-turvy, and the things that I've been using to image "who I am" have shifted. I've learned a valuable lesson this last few months.
  • If I do not have a structure or schedule that nudges/nags/forces me to do the things I want to do (note the "I") then they simply won't happen, short of escaping with a new book.

My painting equipment has grown a thin layer of dust, and I am starting to feel guilty about it. Then I make myself crazy with snotty little remarks to myself about a failing work-ethic. Still doesn't get things done.

What to do? I threw in some structure to fool myself, by signing up with another art instructor for a 6-week landscape painting class. Spent the money, have to show up. Actually, he has alot to teach me. Terry Miura paints in a manner that my old friend/companion Byron Rodarmel painted. That's not surprising since they both attended Art Center in Southern California. Classic art education, of which I'm envious. Guess I'll just have to pay attention in class.

With all this in mind, I think I'll brew myself a cup of tea, and go noodle around in the studio for an hour or so before my massage appointment. I have a painting I started on the camping trip than needs some brutal revision.




No comments:

Post a Comment