Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The bowl in the lower right corner is salad for dinner. We are eating fresh greens now, with onion blossoms and herbs added. The flavors are bright and intense.  You can see how much things have grown in just two weeks. (Scroll to previous post. Even though is is a different tree, the plants went in on the same day.)

Last night I had enough fresh greens to feed seven friends for dinner. This makes all the work we've put into the garden worth every sore muscle and broken fingernail. The only good thing about the cold and rainy weather that we have had this last week (record breaking cold for May, coldest in the last 100 years) is that the lettuces are thriving.  They love cold weather.

And about thriving, I am enjoying my free days again. The job ended about 10 days ago, and I've been pouring my time into the garden, house, and a massive cleanup project. Catching up on routine  doctor visits (yes, yes, my labs are all good: cholesterol, sugars, blood pressure, etc.) and getting more exercise/activity.  I have already dropped a few pounds and am feeling great. 

I learned from this last session at work: don't think that you have lots of time to do/finish/accomplish things. Life happens, and things come up that create roadblocks to the successful completion of projects. So, I've put completing things up in my high priority lists, if that makes sense.

So, even though the weather outside is nasty, I'm feeling pretty good, and overall in a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment