Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gazing Balls and Tequila Jello

Loretta's Basket

This is a sample of the baskets created by one of the Pine Nuts, a group of women that started making baskets up at Camp Sacramento several years ago.


Today the May meeting of Pine Nuts convened, and we met, ate, worked on baskets, laughed and traded hints and information on art, baskets, food and life in general.


The ladies gathered with pot-luck salads, home made rolls, and various goodies, including a lime jello salad made with tequila. uh, you could REALLY taste the Tequilla. I had seconds. :^)
We worked on the baskets, planned the next meeting (to gather needles from a Canary Island pine that grows in Davis) at Peggy's place, and talked and talked and talked....


Pine Nuts Gathering at Joan's
Pink Gazing Ball


Several Baskets were finished, new ones planned and lots of progress on ones started months before. This was a lovely spring afternoon, a sunny break between storms, with squirrels in the cherry tree, jays screeching overhead, bees working the citrus blossoms in the orange tree. Visually interesting, socially fulfilling, tastebuds delighted, it was almost perfect. Oh, and I picked up a small, old Tonka toy truck to use as a painting prop.


The meeting was at my friend Joan's; an artist who plays with multiple mediums, including jewelry and some lovely mosaic gazing balls that are scattered around her garden. They are covered bowling balls with glass tiles, and I think I have a source for one or two so I can do one myself. Joan's garden is scattered with columns, statuary, and these marvelous balls. I am inspired.

Just add gazing balls to my list of backyard projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment